See photos (4)

Col de Joux-Plane versant sud depuis Samoens

at Samoëns
13.5 km
Bike routes
Hard
  • A difficult climb with no respite that has featured in the Tour de France on numerous occasions. Magnificent views of Mont Blanc.
    Mean gradient: 7.5%
  • Documentation
    GPX / KML files allow you to export the trail of your hike to your GPS (or other navigation tool)
  • Accepted customers
    • Individuals
Points of interest
1 Church of Notre Dame de l'Assomption
Completed in 1555, the church of Notre-Dame de l'Assumption in Samoëns is an architectural testimony of the work of the famous stonecutters of the village.<br/>The first mention of the church dates from 1167. Former collegiate church of the diocese of Geneva, the present church was built on the ruins of the old church destroyed in 1476 during the invasion of the Bernese. From this original church, only the lower part of the bell tower (13th century) and the chapel of Saint-Claude (15th century) seem to remain. It was not until 1555 that the construction work was completed (porch, right-side aisle). Work on the choir of the religious building, completed in 1605, was then carried out. Then finally those on the lower left (1621), then the sacristy (1840).

The church of Samoëns, marked by the work of stonecutters, is one of the symbols of the village with the Big Linden. Indeed, the building sites of the church and the decorative elements were the work of the Masons of Samoëns, famous stonemasons in Savoy and France. Tailors hired by Vauban, Voltaire and Bonaparte for numerous works. The builders of the Giffre left in the church many traces of their know-how.

In 1917, Marie-Louise Cognacq-Jaÿ, founder of the Samaritan department stores in Paris, 10 years after creating the Alpine Botanical Garden was once again the benefactor of Samoëns' heritage. She agreed to subsidize the renovation of the interior of the church in her native village, decorated in the style of the Neo-gothic era. A second general renovation of the building was undertaken between 1978 and 1982, when the plaster decoration became obsolete. This is where the modern aspect of the contemporary Church comes from, inscribed as historic monuments since 1987.
2 La Grenette
Located in the centre of historic Samoëns, the old covered market and the Large Lime Tree serve as reminders of an age-old past but are still used as convivial meeting-places. In fact, they are a major part of local life. A example of living heritage.<br/>The old covered market, standing proudly on Place du Gros Tilleul, serves as a reminder of distant days when the economy of the whole valley centred on the main village and its weekly market. The regular Wednesday morning market in Samoëns was introduced by letters patent signed by Count Amadeus VI of Savoy in 1355. To provide shelter for the market, protect the goods and make it easier to pay dues, the villagers built the first covered market at that time. Every week, people would buy or sell sheets, furs, bonnets, seeds, fruit, eggs, cheese and meat and the market prospered. The covered market gets its name of "Grenette" from one of its original functions - to provide protection for cereals and seeds against bad weather during the weekly market. The building was also used for two annual fairs, auction sales in spring and public meetings that gave rise to the earliest forms of municipal life.
The mediaeval wooden "grain store" was razed to the ground by a huge fire in 1476. Rebuilt in exactly the same way in the years that followed, the market was again ravaged by fire in 1537.
The current building was erected during the 18th century. It is a strong, massive construction supported by a huge colonnade built of stone from Les Fontaines and it benefited from the expertise of Samoëns' stonemasons as well as concerns about hygiene at that time. A stream was diverted towards the building and was used as a sewer. It flowed in the open air for more than two hundred years before being covered over to please people out for a stroll.
Since buildings were gradually spaced out in the area around the market and the threat of fire gradually disappeared, the covered market has survived to this day, albeit with several restoration projects along the way. The superb rafters in the roof of La Grenette were replaced in the 1880's but the market still has some features from the original building.
La Grenette was included in the church conservation area in 1983 as a historic monument and no longer houses the food market on a Wednesday morning. Yet it has never been so busy. It was become a venue for popular events, much to the delight of locals and visitors to the resort and it remains an unusual and much-loved place in which to meet and chat.
3 Joux Plane Lake
This lake accessible by car will be the ideal partner for the whole family. Fishing, walks in the middle of the mountain pastures and the pleasure of being face to face with the cows.<br/>This lake located between Samoëns and Morzine will allow you to recharge your batteries in a gentle mountain setting. Activities : fishing (map available for purchase on site), walks and hikes: marked itineraries. Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in winter.
Add a review
Leave a review about Col De Joux-Plane Versant Sud Depuis Samoens :
  • Bad
  • Average
  • Good
  • Very good
  • Excellent
There is no review about Col De Joux-Plane Versant Sud Depuis Samoens, be the first to leave one !