See photos (3)

Town Hall

Historic site and monument in Annemasse
Free
  • Annemasse Town Hall can be found in an outstanding historic building. Thanks to the municipal archives, we know more about its history and use from the 19th century onwards!

  • The construction of a Third Republic-style 'town hall/school' was conceived by mayor, Marc Couriard. It was finished by his successor, Alexandre Perréard between 1882 and 1885 on the site of two farms and a house. The building is the work of the Genevan architect, E. Reverdin and Annemasse business owners, Tavernier and Trottet.

    The municipal departments and schools moved in during the autumn of 1884. The district court and post office could be found on the central building's ground...
    The construction of a Third Republic-style 'town hall/school' was conceived by mayor, Marc Couriard. It was finished by his successor, Alexandre Perréard between 1882 and 1885 on the site of two farms and a house. The building is the work of the Genevan architect, E. Reverdin and Annemasse business owners, Tavernier and Trottet.

    The municipal departments and schools moved in during the autumn of 1884. The district court and post office could be found on the central building's ground floor, and the departments for the town hall were on the first floor. The building's two wings were occupied by the boys' and girls' primary schools until 1934. The town hall square was the schoolyard office!

    When the pupils left, the building was largely redesigned. The wedding reception room, the small reception room and council room were created. Since being built, the Town Hall has also been home to the industrial court, the tax office, the department of weights and measures, the tourist office and the Chamber of Trades. As a result, the interior has undergone constant change.

    The building even had to be enlarged. In 1953, extensions were added along Rue de la Gare and Rue du Commerce. The façade was renovated at the end of the 1980s. The subsequent development of the Town Hall square enhanced the building even further. The town's motto and coat of arms, dating from 1933, were inscribed on the pediment: 'Act rather than talk'

    Source: Annemasse Muncipal Archives
  • Environment
    • In the town centre
    • In town
  • Spoken languages
    • French
  • Rates
  • Free
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2022
    Opened Everyday
    * The building's exterior can be seen throughout the year.