Thuyset Castle

Historic site and monument, Castle in Thonon-les-Bains

  • The Château de Thuyset is hidden behind the tree tops of a large wood as you leave Thonon just a little before where the Dranse crosses Vongy. It was built in the 15th century as a tall building flanked by two round and square towers.

  • The field was once called Choyset and this is where the current name Thuyset came from. In the 15th century the Allinges family owned a fortified house here until 1490 when Jean d'Allinges gave it to his squire, François de Thorens, who rebuilt it or at least refurbished it.
    In 1617, Jeanne-Françoise de Thorens, the last of that name, gave Thuyset to her son, Amé de la Fléchère, whose wife, Aymée de Prez, then inherited it, married Senator Louis Marin de Loisinge and left Thuyset to him in...
    The field was once called Choyset and this is where the current name Thuyset came from. In the 15th century the Allinges family owned a fortified house here until 1490 when Jean d'Allinges gave it to his squire, François de Thorens, who rebuilt it or at least refurbished it.
    In 1617, Jeanne-Françoise de Thorens, the last of that name, gave Thuyset to her son, Amé de la Fléchère, whose wife, Aymée de Prez, then inherited it, married Senator Louis Marin de Loisinge and left Thuyset to him in 1673. Their eldest daughter, Jeanne-Marie, married Jean-Charles de Foras in 1688 and his descendants still live in the château today.
  • Environment

    • In town
    • Close to a public transportation