Chateau_de_beauregard_station_les_Brasses

Beauregard castle

Historic site and monument, Castle in Saint-Jeoire

  • Beauregard Castle was the residence since the 13th century the Lord, became the Earls of Fletcher. You can admire this jewel, illuminated at night.

  • The history of the castle, closely linked to that of the family of La Fléchère, Faucigny and the States of Savoy in general, has been very eventful. Burned down and looted several times, in particular by troops from Geneva or during the French Revolution, its interior had to be completely rebuilt several times, the walls however remaining in place. Witnesses of these reconstructions still remain, in particular a walled-up mullion window located under the plaster of the south facade, the...
    The history of the castle, closely linked to that of the family of La Fléchère, Faucigny and the States of Savoy in general, has been very eventful. Burned down and looted several times, in particular by troops from Geneva or during the French Revolution, its interior had to be completely rebuilt several times, the walls however remaining in place. Witnesses of these reconstructions still remain, in particular a walled-up mullion window located under the plaster of the south facade, the location of which testifies to the different positioning of the floors at the time of its construction.

    The castle is said to have been built in the 13th century by the La Fléchère family. The original function of the castle, in addition to the dwelling, was to defend the village of Saint-Jeoire-en-Faucigny. It was then a simple rectangular keep with walls about 1.20 meters thick, which still constitutes the main body of the castle today.
    The other parts of the building were added to it as the history progressed and the needs of the Lords of La Fléchère evolved; starting with the staircase tower, built in the 14th century, including a staircase with rough marble steps.

    The white band painted under the roofs of the various towers reminds us that Hugues de la Fléchère will participate in 1366 in the crusade organized by the Green Count Amédée VI of Savoy to come to the aid of the Eastern Christian emperor, his brother-in-law. It was burnt down in 1589 during the Bernese invasion and subsequently restored.

    Among the most illustrious characters of this family, we must cite Colonel Jean-Pierre de la Fléchère who in the 18th century was Governor of Cagliari and Viceroy of Sardinia and General Georges-François de la Fléchère who was Major General of the province of Savoy.

    The castle remained in the family of La Fléchère until 2004, i.e. for 8 centuries, when its owner donated it to the diocese of Annecy, which entrusted it to a charismatic religious community wishing to be of Franciscan inspiration, the Eucharistein Fraternity, in 2008.
  • Environment

    • In the country